Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A smack in the face




Have you ever been smacked in the face? This morning during my quiet time I was reading about pride and over and over I felt like I was being smacked in the face and being told to wake up.
I have an amazing son. A son I enjoy being around and guess what he is a teenager. If there was one character about him I would change it would be that he very often talks negatively. You may not even notice it if you were around him but it seems like it is constantly in my face. Constantly reminding someone of their faults or how they could do better. Or if a sister would say I want to be a singer when I grow up he reminds them of how many singers turn out worldly or how her voice is not good enough. He has also started back talking. I know that part of it is just being his age and feeling like he wants to be more involved and so I do try to take into account. Michael loves to watch super nanny, he has for many years. The other night he went to bed and it was left on in the living room. So my hero and I stayed up watching it for 2 more hours. The show we watched gave us a great idea. This family set a chart up and said they would give each child a certain amount of money weekly if they did not curse. So our thought was we would do the same. Michael does not curse. But every time he back talked or said something negative then he would mark off a quarter. Since we do not pay our children for daily chores this would be a great way to help him earn money. It is really about re training him to think before he speaks.
So back to this morning. I was having my quiet time, reading about pride and humbling ourselves. My first smack was, I need to not only encourage him to re train his brain but that every time he marks off a quarter to take a moment and pray for help to stop before speaking and to think about how his words are affecting others.
Today I read about humbling yourself and asking for help and repenting of the things you are struggling with day after day. It made me think about how I will ask for help with one situation and receive it and then I get prideful about handling it on my own. So I forget to ask for help.
Then the big smack happened. I was so caught up in having my eyes opened about my son that I was not listening. I realized that this morning’s quiet time was not about my son. It was about me and how I speak to everyone. Am I looking for the good in every situation? Am I encouraging my children when they tell me about their goals and dreams? Am I speaking with a sweet spirit? Or am I harsh and to the point? Am I in too big of a hurry to hear what they need to talk about or what they want to talk about?
Father, today I ask you to tap me on the shoulder and point out how I am not being humble when it comes to my thoughts. Thank you so much for opening my eyes. Thank you for being there for me and giving me your word to teach me and encourage me.
Pamela

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Troppetrie | Design Poppiness Designs