Monday, June 11, 2012

Wounded Warriors

Do you know a veteran? Do you know a wounded warrior? I have known several veterans in my life time and would like to talk to you about a few of them. First I want to tell you about my husband. He is a true hero in my eyes. I often refer to him as my hero. My husband has deployed to Bosnia, Albania, Afghanistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iraq and for the life of me one other time and I cannot remember where. That is almost sad. I do not understand how this wonderful man has stayed strong for so long. He has seen things that I can never imagine. I’ve watched him suffer with PTSD in ways that broke my heart. I have seen him leave babies before they can walk and return to babies who did not know who he was. I have seen him work late into the night just to make sure we have everything we need while he gone. I could not ask for a better father for our children. I see pride in his eyes when he looks at the flag. It is not a job he does only for the pay but because he wants to protect our country and keep us free. I love this man so much. Last fall a friend from high school became a wounded warrior. It hit home, although we have not talked in probably 20 years. He was injured in Afghanistan. I have watched him and his wife for months and watched how they have grown. I have watched him continue to honor his country. Honor his country when I am sure the mental and physical pain is more than any of us could imagine. Thank you, Robert for serving our country. Thank you, Angela for supporting him through this. You show me what a military spouse should be. A couple of weeks ago I got a message from a dear friend. Her step son Josh had been involved in a accident in Afghanistan and lost both of his legs. This young man has not been in the Army or married a couple of years. He is so young and yet he served his country and gave his legs for his country. I have watched him continue to do so with dignity. I ask you to continue to support our military men and women. So many times they can feel left behind. I have found a great organization that is willing to help with supporting them. This summer marks the start of Sears' annual spring renovation campaign with Rebuilding Together in support of Wounded Warriors across the country. To date, Sears has raised more than $16 million and has helped over 62,000 military families receive the home modifications necessary for healthful and comfortable living through its Heroes at Home initiative. There are currently 150 rebuilds underway across the country already this spring and summer, and together we can reach more military families. Sears is encouraging Americans to give back by donating to the work of Heroes at Home either in-store at locations nationwide or online. They also have some great suggestions on how to help our veterans. Do you carry a deep appreciation for soldiers of past and present wars, but aren’t quite sure how to show it? There are a number of ways, big and small, to express your support that can directly affect the life of a veteran in a positive way. According to a recent survey conducted by Sears, nearly half of Americans surveyed said they plan to volunteer, donate to a military related cause, or thank a veteran this Patriot Season (Armed Forces Day through Labor Day). Here are a few quick tips on how to show your gratitude for a veteran this Patriot Season and throughout the year: * Donate money to charities that help veterans. A great way to give back is to support organizations such as Heroes at Home and Rebuilding Together as they build, repair, improve or modify homes for veterans. Your donation can help extend the impact of the work these organizations do that affects thousands of lives. * Volunteer with organizations that help veterans. Get your hands dirty and your family involved. Many organizations can benefit just as greatly from your time as they can from your money. The Sears Heroes at Home initiative is just one of many that support veterans and rely on the help of volunteers. Check with local volunteer organizations to find a veteran-focused charity that is of interest to you. Your local American Legion or VFW post is a good place to start if you need help finding a charity. * Send a care package to a soldier serving overseas. A simple way to bring a smile to the face of a serviceman or woman is to send a package of fun items: candies, cookies, books, games, magazines – any taste of home. There are a number of organizations that coordinate the sending of care packages to soldiers stationed across the world. Operation Gratitude is one of many organizations that coordinate these efforts, and your local veterans organizations may be able to help put you touch with groups that support soldiers from your community. * Shop at stores that make efforts to employ or otherwise help veterans. In the same survey, an overwhelming majority of Americans (78 percent) also said they were more likely to support a company or brand that supports veterans or wounded warriors. Today’s veterans face numerous challenges when reintegrating into civilian life – one of which is finding steady employment. You can help ease this transition by supporting businesses that are committed to hiring veterans and supporting reservists on staff who get called into active duty. For example, Sears provides recruitment programs to help place veterans in jobs within their organization and will hold positions for deployed veterans for up to five years. There are also a number of nonprofit organizations that help provide job skills and career counseling for veterans, which could also use your support I encourage you to take a moment to read and see what you can do to help. If you already help a veteran I would love to know about it. I would love to hear the stories of the veterans in your life in my comment section. If you would like to donate please head over to Heroes at Home and make a donation. Pamela

2 comments:

Wounded Warriors said...

There are allot of need and allot of great causes for sure. It's much better than it use to be. I'm commenting on behalf of wounded warriors to help promote and support service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses. Many wounded warriors are coming home, getting out of the military and jobs are very limited. Therefore are starting their own businesses in an attempt to survive and support their families. In an effort to help, we have created the Wounded Warrior Directory, the one and only directory dedicated solely to supporting service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses at http://www.VeteransDirectory.com. Great place to find teming partners or hire a veteran sub contractor. Please help us let others know about these businesses and this cause. Thank you!

Robert said...

I can out into words how honored and yet humble I am at reading it statement.I to like your husband am very proud of serving not for normal reasons but to Honor those who have came before, to provide a peaceful place where families dont have to live in fear. I owe my country everything and ask nothing. I have seen first hand the tragedies of man,and it frightens me to see the depths of our resolve. I write to u to say that u for being U, and for giving love to Robert unconditionally because he needs it. Tho we r very different he and I are the same, we hold true to a belief that snaps at the very fiber of who we are. We ask not to be called Hero's because we are not, we are just doing a job most, and few cannot. We live where other scarcely can imagine and we r at our most comfortable. I can only offer thanks to u Pam for being so very strong for ur children for they suffer the hardest without him around. To Robert that u my brother for doing what u love and for being something better then you are. U see that is why I do my job, and it rings so clear each and every day. I do it to be better then I was before, to touch lives I know noone else could touch. To make a difference and to be remembered no all the good I did in my life. Much love your way and again Thank You both for the sacrifices u give daily. Hoorah

Post a Comment

 
Content Troppetrie | Design Poppiness Designs